Users are expected to use SUNY Optometry computer and network services in a legal, effective, ethical, responsible and efficient manner, consistent with the instructional, research, public service and administrative goals of the College.
Institutional Computer Use Policies
The following issues pertain to computer users at the College in general, but particularly to institutional settings such as faculty, staff and graduate student offices. Computer users are expected to attend to the following issues in a network and institutional context.
Adherence to Copyright
- SUNY Optometry equipment and software may not be used in any way that violates copyrights, patent protections or the terms of any license agreement.
- The unauthorized installation, use or copying of any software licensed or protected by copyright is theft, and is prohibited. This includes unauthorized copying of software onto college equipment, or the inappropriate copying of college-owned software onto personal machines.
Changes to the campus network
Campus network services, equipment, wiring, or jacks may not be altered, moved or extended beyond the location of their intended use without prior coordination with, and written approval of, the Office of Information Technology.
- Consult the following listing for current versions of supported software.
- Although users are not prohibited from installing their own (legal) software on office computers, equipment or software problems that result from the use of non-supported software are the responsibility of the individual.
- The campus network may not be used for commercial or profit-making enterprises, except for those commercial activities officially sanctioned by the College in writing.
- No output should be printed for profit.